Thursday, November 22, 2007

17 years and just beginning

17 years ago today we were celebrating thanksgiving with both of our families and excited about beginning our new life together. We had dinner with my family and then went and had pie with Bruce's family. We ended up back up at my house for the evening and some how we had a disagreement about something (who knows what) and I became emotional (so unlike me) and said, "if this is what married life is going to be like I don't want to get married." Bruce reassured me all would be well and that a good nights rest is what I needed. A good nights sleep was exactly what I needed.

Our wedding day was amazing the weather could not have been better. It was in the 60's and no snow which was odd for late November. We were to be married at 9am in the Salt Lake Temple. We were all ready to go waiting in the Celestial room until it was our turn. Being the day after thanks giving there were 30 other brides being married that day. Being young and in love we did not realize that when they did come to get us it was 10am. Bruce's mission president Elder Kikuchi, of the Seventy, was going to marry us but had been called out of town on an assignment. Since they were quite booked they were trying to find another sealer who could seal us. They did of course and all was well. Before they began the ceremony Bruce's mom leaned over to me and said, referring to the sealer, "I think he was my OBGYN he delivered Bruce." The sealer, recognizing the name Spratling comment, "I brought you into this world, I am performing your marriage, now as all I need to do is get my under takers license".

Seventeen years later, four children, three homes, two states and a life time of memories we are beginning to figure things out. It is OK to not agree on everything. It is OK to squeeze the tooth paste in the middle. It is OK to wear shoes in the house. It is OK to eat dessert first. It is OK to leave the toilet seat up (as long as it is not in the middle of the night). It is OK to leave clothes in piles, sometimes not even making it into the drawer before being worn again. I have discovered that life is a journey and we are trying to take it one day at a time and enjoy it along the way. Life happens daily:) I am just grateful I have Bruce to share it with. Happy Anniversary Love.

7 comments:

JAGBHansen said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I can't believe that you have been married for 17 years. It makes me feel like a newlywed here at 5 :) We hope you two have an awesome day. Love you!

katie said...

Happy Anniversary! I really did think of you this morning when I saw Nov. 23rd written somewhere. Hope you have a fabulous day!

lizzie said...

congrats!

mickey said...

What a beautiful tribute. I am grateful to learn more about you and your sweet family through your blog. I know how much the Granquists love you all and I can see why. ~~~HAPPY ANNIVERSARY~~~

Annie said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Wow, 17 years. Congrats. And, no, it is not ok to leave to toilet seat up!!! EVER! But, you are a much much nicer person than I:) Love you both...

Amie Orton said...

Yay!,You are so old! haha just kiddin.. I remember your wedding day. Faintly though. I remember the cake.. chocolate,, I remember that you wore a navy blue dress to leave the reception..i think it might have had polka dots..(funny the things that stick with kids) and that we helped troy rewire the red bronco so that when you stepped on the brakes, the horn honked!

Cindy Spratling said...

Happy Anniversary Bruce and Natalie! I love that we share this day with you. I can't believe there were 3o brides with you that day. I was the only one in the Mesa Temple that day. Lucky, I guess. I loved seeing the pictures of your kids the past few blogs. Can I come be a kid in your family for a while? You are such a good mother, and Aunt :), your kids are so lucky to belong to you!