Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Visit with a friend

Today I visited with a friend on the phone. It was one of those conversations that was exactly what I needed. One that made me want to be better. An epiphany - that life is as good as you make it. Parker brought home a quote from church on Sunday by Elder Joseph B. Writhlin (Nov. 1990)

"So many of us are always waiting to be happy. 'If only I could graduate, if only I could afford a car, If only I could get married ...' For too many, happiness is just over the horizon, never reachable. Every time we climb one hill, happiness beckons just beyond the next.


It is a terrible thing always to be waiting for tomorrow, always depending on tomorrow, always excusing our todays because we are sure that only in the future will we possess the tings that will fulfill us.

Don't wait for tomorrow. Don't wait for the right job, the right house, the right salary, the right dress size. Be happy today. Be happy now."


My friend that I had this conversation with was having a great day. Her weekend had been up and down and, over the weekend, she was trying to get back on the upside. She said that through much studying and praying she had realized that she was responsible for herself and that as a mother she was there to help her children and teach her children but not take away their agency so that they could make and learn from their choice - She was not there to save them but to help them and let them learn. She was there to make her choice and live the best that she can.


This was an eye opener for me. Me, who wants everything to be perfect and my kids to never mess up and live life perfectly. My job is just to love my kids and I am doing this one day at a time. I love these sweet souls.





3 comments:

lizzie said...

thank you! i love the quote...

JAGBHansen said...

Something that I absolutely needed to read today. Thanks Nat for your insight, what clarity.

Jennica said...

What a great post. Thank you! Great quote. It is so true though.